- What is Atheism
- Law & Politics
- Press Information
- Christians Take Over Interfaith Army Chapel in Combat Zone
- Press Kit
- 9/11: 'Never Forget' Must Include All Victims
- Atheists Advocate Separation of Church and State at DNC
- Congressman Pete Stark to Speak at 2013 National Convention
- American Atheists Announces 50th Anniversary Logo Design Contest
- American Atheists Announces Harassment Policy for Conventions and Conferences
- American Atheists Jubilant Over Latest Religion Report
- American Atheists Removes Religious Billboards from Charlotte
- Former Pastor Now American Atheists Public Relations Director
- Former Pastor Teresa MacBain New Public Relations Director
- ITALIAN JUDGE LUIGI TOSTI ACQUITTED!
- American Atheists to Protest Bradford County, FL Decalogue on May 19
Supporting Civil Rights for Atheists and the Separation of Church and State
US Consulate in Libya and Embassy in Egypt Attacked Because of Video Muslim Mobs Consider Blasphemous
American Atheists, Inc.
For Immediate Release: September 11, 2012
For more information contact:
David Silverman, President: 908-276-7300 ext. 5
Teresa MacBain, Public Relations Director: 908-276-7300 ext. 7
US CONSULATE IN LIBYA AND EMBASSY IN EGYPT ATTACKED BECAUSE OF
VIDEO MUSLIM MOBS CONSIDERED BLASPHEMOUS
The Associated Press announced tonight, that an American made movie insulting the prophet Mohammed ignited a revolt targeting U.S. Diplomatic facilities in Libya and Egypt. Protestors burned the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi and the U.S. Embassy in Cairo, while the American flag was ripped off the wall and replaced with an Islamic banner. Early reports indicate an American official was shot to death during the attack.
American Atheists are outraged at these acts of violence visibly demonstrating the destructive power of religion, the same religion that caused the loss of thousands of lives in the 9/11 attacks eleven years ago today.
David Silverman, President of American Atheists said, “As the world progresses into the future, Muslim society will hopefully evolve into a society that takes on dissent with discourse instead of death and destruction. Until it progresses to this point, it will forever be regarded as a barbaric, primitive, and pathetic religion. Here in the United States, our constitution protects our right to dissent against religion with the first amendment, and the separation of church and state that it ensures.”
The creator of the video, Sam Bacile was quoted in the AP article saying, "The main problem is, I am the first one to put on the screen someone who is (portraying) Muhammad. It makes them mad. But we have to open the door. After 9/11 everybody should be in front of the judge, even Jesus, even Muhammad."
Our thoughts are with those who have lost loved ones, been injured, and are in harms way tonight. We condemn the violent actions being perpetrated against innocent people in the name of religion. Our hope is for a speedy resolution to this crisis.
AMERICAN ATHEISTS is a national 501(c)(3) organization that defends civil rights for atheists, freethinkers, and other nonbelievers; works for the total separation of religion and government; and addresses issues of First Amendment public policy.
American Atheists, Inc.
P.O. Box 158
Cranford, N.J. 07016
Tel: (908) 276-7300
Fax: (908) 276-7402