- What is Atheism
- Law & Politics
- Press Information
- Christians Take Over Interfaith Army Chapel in Combat Zone
- Press Kit
- 9/11: 'Never Forget' Must Include All Victims
- Atheists Advocate Separation of Church and State at DNC
- Congressman Pete Stark to Speak at 2013 National Convention
- American Atheists Announces 50th Anniversary Logo Design Contest
- American Atheists Announces Harassment Policy for Conventions and Conferences
- American Atheists Jubilant Over Latest Religion Report
- American Atheists Removes Religious Billboards from Charlotte
- Former Pastor Now American Atheists Public Relations Director
- Former Pastor Teresa MacBain New Public Relations Director
- ITALIAN JUDGE LUIGI TOSTI ACQUITTED!
- American Atheists to Protest Bradford County, FL Decalogue on May 19
Supporting Civil Rights for Atheists and the Separation of Church and State
Photo by R. Wingrove
Atheists are Everywhere!
No matter who you are, or where you are, there is one simple fact that we all have in common: we all know more atheists than we think we do.
That's because a huge percentage of us are \in the closet\ -- hiding our reality-based conclusion out of fear of rejection or reprisals.
\Nones\ Are the fastest growing segment in all 50 states.
Check out this USA Today poll and click on your state. Now ask yourselves two questions:
- How many nonreligious people are there versus the Jews and Moslems?
- How many Jews and Moslems do I know?
Then, extrapolate. You probably know a lot more Jews and Muslims than you know atheists, but it certainly shouldn't be that way according to that poll.
Now, if we compare this to the PEW research poll (known for leaning toward the right), we get a different picture -- only 5% nationally actually saying there is no god.
The difference is of course in how you phrase the question. Exactly how many of the \no religions\ are actually nonreligious and how many of the respondents were afraid to admit their rationality and called themselves religious?
These are tough variables, but we can use these reports as good upper and lower-bound measurements. If the Pew folks are right, there are 15 Million Atheists in America. If the USA Today polls are right, the number is closer to 50 million.
Both numbers far outweigh all non-Christians combined, and then doubled.
Atheist? You've got company, just not much in prison
But that Doesn't stop us from being the most disliked group!