- What is Atheism
- Law & Politics
- Press Information
- Christians Take Over Interfaith Army Chapel in Combat Zone
- Press Kit
- 9/11: 'Never Forget' Must Include All Victims
- Atheists Advocate Separation of Church and State at DNC
- Congressman Pete Stark to Speak at 2013 National Convention
- American Atheists Announces 50th Anniversary Logo Design Contest
- American Atheists Announces Harassment Policy for Conventions and Conferences
- American Atheists Jubilant Over Latest Religion Report
- American Atheists Removes Religious Billboards from Charlotte
- Former Pastor Now American Atheists Public Relations Director
- Former Pastor Teresa MacBain New Public Relations Director
- ITALIAN JUDGE LUIGI TOSTI ACQUITTED!
- American Atheists to Protest Bradford County, FL Decalogue on May 19
Supporting Civil Rights for Atheists and the Separation of Church and State
Full Size / Ohio Full Size
Well? What Myths DO you see?
American Atheists is once again posting seasonal billboards, this time in Florida, Ohio and for a second year in a row at the New Jersey side of the Lincoln Tunnel!
The billboards are the next stage of the "You KNOW it's a MYTH" campaign we started last year. This year we are placing myths on the billboard and asking people what they see? The purpose is to encourage people to ask themselves why one god is different from gods they call myths. It's up to them to answer --
We are asking.
There is no effort here to convert theists into atheists, but there IS an attempt to get the church pew atheists to consider what they are doing. If they look at our billboard and see four myths, including Jesus, then why are they going to church and donating money? Why are they going through this ridiculous motion of pretending to believe in a myth, just to please other people?
Some atheists don't even know they are atheists, while others are fully aware but remain closeted. This is why we ask all church-goers to consider honestly their theological beliefs this season and ask if and why they are pretending to believe the unbelievable. It is our hope that these atheists will come out of the closet, come clean to their friends and families and start living an honest life of reason and rationality.
Many atheists celebrate some version of Christmas! There is nothing wrong with gifts, trees, singing and (most of all) family togetherness. None of this requires the pretense of a belief in a god. We believe the season should include honesty -- with oneself and loved ones.
PS. Here are some suggested seasonal gifts for those who still think Jesus is an historical figure:
The Christ Myth: It's theory and it's Problems by Biblical Scholar Robert price
Pagan Origins of the Christ Myth - A classic short book - Where did all this Christ stuff come from, anyway?
The Myth of Nazareth - Christianity cannot survive unless this book is refuted.
Through Atheist Eyes - a 4-volume must-have by former American Atheists president Frank Zindler.
The Reason Rally: the largest secular gathering in World History, March 24 2012 in Washington DC
National Convention: Right after the Reason Rally in DC!
Florida Regional Convention: December 17-19 in Ft. Lauderdale
USA Today Poll: How does atheism rank in your state?
Barna 2011 - How the "unchurched" segment is growing
US News: "No Religion" fastest growing in all 50 states
USA Today: The rise of cafeteria Religion