- What is Atheism
- Law & Politics
- Press Information
- Christians Take Over Interfaith Army Chapel in Combat Zone
- Press Kit
- 9/11: 'Never Forget' Must Include All Victims
- Atheists Advocate Separation of Church and State at DNC
- Congressman Pete Stark to Speak at 2013 National Convention
- American Atheists Announces 50th Anniversary Logo Design Contest
- American Atheists Announces Harassment Policy for Conventions and Conferences
- American Atheists Jubilant Over Latest Religion Report
- American Atheists Removes Religious Billboards from Charlotte
- Former Pastor Now American Atheists Public Relations Director
- Former Pastor Teresa MacBain New Public Relations Director
- ITALIAN JUDGE LUIGI TOSTI ACQUITTED!
- American Atheists to Protest Bradford County, FL Decalogue on May 19
Supporting Civil Rights for Atheists and the Separation of Church and State
Congressman Pete Stark to Speak at 2013 National Convention
American Atheists, Inc.
For Immediate Release: November 27, 2012
For More Information Contact:
David Silverman, President: 908-276-7300 ext. 5, [email protected]
Teresa MacBain, Public Relations Director, 908-276-7300 ext. 7, [email protected]
CONGRESSMAN PETE STARK TO SPEAK AT ATHEIST CONVENTION
Cranford, NJ-American Atheists announced today the addition of U.S. Congressman Pete Stark as a featured speaker for the 2013 American Atheists National Convention. Mr. Stark's 39-year career in the U. S. House of Representatives has included senior positions on the House Ways and Means Committee and as the Ranking Minority Member of its Health Subcommittee.
Congressman Stark has also been known as the only openly atheistic member of Congress. He officially came out as an atheist in 2007 and subsequently introduced a resolution in Congress designating February 12, 2011 as Darwin Day. The resolution states, "Charles DarwinÂ is a worthy symbol of scientific advancement and around which to build a global celebration of science and humanity."
David Silverman, President of American Atheists stated, "Congressman Stark proved that the assertion that one needs to be religious to be elected is false - atheists CAN and DO get elected to Congress - we just need to do it more often."
Amanda Knief, Managing Director stated, "Congressman Stark has never apologized for being nonreligious, and was re-elected again and again, as an atheist, based on the issues and his record. His speech, which will focus on atheism and politics, will surely be an exciting and unique experience, well suited to our 50th Anniversary Convention."
The 2013 Convention will host 1,500 atheists at the Hyatt Regency in Austin, Texas March 28-31, 2013, where Madalyn Murray O'Hair founded the organization in 1963.
AMERICAN ATHEISTS is a national 501(c)(3) organization that defends civil rights for atheists, freethinkers, and other nonbelievers; works for the total separation of religion and government; and addresses issues of First Amendment public policy.
American Atheists, Inc.
P.O. Box 158
Cranford, N.J. 07016
Tel: (908) 276-7300
Fax: (908) 276-7402