- What is Atheism
- Law & Politics
- Press Information
- Christians Take Over Interfaith Army Chapel in Combat Zone
- Press Kit
- 9/11: 'Never Forget' Must Include All Victims
- Atheists Advocate Separation of Church and State at DNC
- Congressman Pete Stark to Speak at 2013 National Convention
- American Atheists Announces 50th Anniversary Logo Design Contest
- American Atheists Announces Harassment Policy for Conventions and Conferences
- American Atheists Jubilant Over Latest Religion Report
- American Atheists Removes Religious Billboards from Charlotte
- Former Pastor Now American Atheists Public Relations Director
- Former Pastor Teresa MacBain New Public Relations Director
- ITALIAN JUDGE LUIGI TOSTI ACQUITTED!
- American Atheists to Protest Bradford County, FL Decalogue on May 19
Supporting Civil Rights for Atheists and the Separation of Church and State
ATHEISTS CALLS OUT FLORIDA SCHOOL LEADERSHIP FOR SHOWING RELIGIOUS FAVORITISM
Cranford, NJ-Orange County, Florida school leaders have given approval for members of World Changers of Florida to distribute Bibles by placing them on tables near student lunchrooms on Wednesday, January 16, 2013.
David Silverman, President of American Atheists said, "Orange County is showing favoritism by allowing the distribution of Bibles in the county high schools. This is an issue of preserving the rights of all students, regardless of their beliefs. "Silverman continues, "We will be moving forward to distribute books written by Madalyn Murray O'Hair on atheism in the same manner. Our request will be presented to the school board asking for a specific date when we can place our books in the schools. We expect equal treatment for us; as well as any and all other religions that want to distribute their literature in the same manner."
This type of passive distribution isn't a new occurrence in the Orange County Schools. According to the group's web site, the distribution is an annual practice. An article on the website states, "We are excited to again be able to distribute Bibles in Collier and Orange county high schools. We have given out thousands of Bibles over the last few years and we are working to expand the program to many other school districts." (Emphasis American Atheists)
AMERICAN ATHEISTS is a national 501(c)(3) organization that defends civil rights for atheists, freethinkers, and other nonbelievers; works for the total separation of religion and government; and addresses issues of First Amendment public policy.
Join us as we celebrate our 50 Years of Reason at our 2013 National Convention in Austin, Texas, March 28-31, 2013. You can find out more about this event including registration at atheists.org/convention2013