Local Partners and Affiliates
American Atheists is dedicated to developing and supporting a healthy, thriving, and respected atheist community in the United States, with over 100 affiliates. Our Affiliate program provides a relationship with local groups that benefits both the local group and American Atheists in meeting our goals and mission.
We collaborate with local affiliates that want to participate in our civil rights campaigns or need assistance on local issues. We provide organizational and leadership support to local affiliates and, of course, we look to our local affiliates to keep us informed of emerging local civil rights issues so that we can meet the challenge.
Affiliating with American Atheists brings your group:
- A free affiliate listing on the American Atheists Local Affiliates webpage;
- Referrals for individuals in your area who contact American Atheists looking for a local group;
- American Atheists periodic Affiliates newsletter, filled with updates about American Atheists campaigns and programs as well as organizational ideas and other information of interest to growing atheist affiliates;
- Consultation assistance for local civil rights issues facing your organization;
- Consultation assistance for organizational issues or problems, including free organizational evaluation;
- Invitations to American Atheists leadership and program training workshops held in your area from time to time;
- Access to American Atheist speakers;
- Opportunity to host local RAM and AA workshops, even the AA national convention;
- Free affiliate subscription to American Atheist Magazine;
- Free American Atheist literature for local distribution;
- Participation in the affiliate meeting at the American Atheists' annual convention.
We expect affiliates to support the complete and absolute separation of religion and government and to support activism in support of the "wall of separation." American Atheists and affiliates are not required though, to agree with every position or support every action taken by the other.
Affiliation creates no legal relationship. Affiliates are free to associate and engage with other local, national, and international organizations as they see fit. Affiliation creates no financial obligations for either party. Group affiliation is free of cost.
American Atheists requires affiliates to remain in contact. A current, regularly checked, public group email, a public or private contact email (of an organizer or officer), and a web presence are essential. If a group is deemed inactive or unreachable affiliation may be revoked.
We will, from time to time, offer opportunities for affiliates to engage in activism. These may be on an opt-in or opt-out basis (never mandatory). We will attempt to contact group organizers, primarily via email (thus a current active email address is necessary).
American Atheists' National Affiliate Director is Greg Lammers. Please contact him with any questions or issues about our Affiliate program and with any specific affiliate support you need.
To Register as an Affiliate
Ready to become an Affiliate? If your group would like to become an Affiliate, email National Affiliate Director Greg Lammers and he will email you the Affiliation Application.
Local Partners and local American Atheists affiliates are independent non-profit organizations and are not subsidiaries, agents, employees, or legal representatives of American Atheists. Local Partners and affiliates do not have the authority to bind American Atheists to any contractual obligations or otherwise act on behalf of American Atheists.
Map of Local Partners and Affiliates
Blue Pin: Non-Profit group
Green Pin: Meetup group
Yellow Pin: Student Group
Red Pin: AA Local Partner
View American Atheists Affiliates in a larger map